Our Family

Our Family

Thursday, June 16, 2011

Work.

It’s hard to believe that in about three weeks, I will have been at my current job for 2 years. I remember being pretty nervous that I wasn’t going to find a job and getting to the point that I’d work anywhere, just to get out of the house and start making money! (For the record, we were only married for 1 month before I found a job… and it almost killed me.) But the Lord had bigger plans for me. He provided me a great job that brought stability to our family and our bank account. When I interviewed for the job, I was told that this job was probably only going to last for 2 years, since it’s based on work for individual construction projects, that would eventually be built and be finished. At the time… 2 years seemed like an eternity away.
 
I remember after we had been working for a few months, PK and I just kind of looked at each other and said, “Oh my gosh, we have to work for the rest of our lives.” It was like it had just clicked. That people work until they retire. The thought of retirement, turning 65 years old and not taking money out of our 401K until then, was such a weird thing to think about. The thought of working for almost 45 years made me want to gag. Still does in fact.
 
When you’re in school, you base your mental calendar off semesters, summers, Christmas break and spring break. 2 years seemed so far away. And the first time June hit and we weren’t off at the lake lounging for summer was a big bummer.
 
Well 2 years has almost arrived. Luckily for me, construction hasn’t even started yet on this project. But the thought of sitting in this cubicle all the way through 2014, when construction is supposed to end, yet again seems so far away. Don’t get me wrong, I do not have this job secured through 2014… I mean, do we ever really have job security nowadays? But I’m here at least through the end of the year and we’ll see what happens next. When you work for a small engineering firm, as an administrative assistant, with no engineering degree, it doesn’t seem there is much room to move upward or even sideways. But I’m confident the Lord has big plans for me! Just today I was given a confidence boost from my boss, now that will put a pep in your step!
 
Happy Trails!

No comments:

Post a Comment