I have an app on my iPhone thats called Crock-Pot and I use it sometimes to find good recipes to throw in the crock pot before I leave for work and presto... dinner is ready when I get home! You can also check out their website at Crock-Pot.com. It helps when I get that "im so tired/don't want to cook anything/lets just go out" urge... as I'm sure many of you have felt. But, we're trying really hard to eat at home as much as possible!! Save some cash and save some calories!!! So here's the soup that we made for Valentine's night, which we both really liked. See below how we changed it up and our review.
Chicken Fiesta Soup
Ingredients
4 boneless, skinless chicken breast(s) cooked and shredded
14½ ounces stewed tomatoes drained
8 ounces green chilies chopped
28 ounces enchilada sauce
14½ ounces chicken broth
1 cup onion finely chopped
2 cloves garlic minced
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon chili powder
¾ teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon salt
¼ cup fresh cilantro minced
1 cup frozen whole kernel corn
1 Unit yellow squash diced
1 Unit zucchini diced
8 tostada shells crumbled
8 ounces cheddar cheese shredded
Directions
Combine chicken, tomatoes, chilies, enchilada sauce, broth, onions, garlic, cumin, chili powder, pepper, salt, cilantro, corn, squash and zucchini in the Crock-Pot® slow cooker.
Cover and cook on Low for 8 hours.
To serve, fill individual bowls with soup. Garnish with crumbled tostada shells and cheese.
The Ray Family Spin:
- We didn't use green chiles, cumin or tostada shells, either becuase we couldn't find in grocery store, didn't have at home or because chips work just as well as crumbed tostada shells - so we liked it without these ingredients just fine
- I'm not a big fan of the stewed tomatoes, but I think they're necessary to add flavor, so I typically just spoon around them
- It was brothier than we thought it would be, but turned out to have great flavor; it kind of reminded me a minestrone type of soup, but with a mexican kick instead of italian
- Squash and Zucchini aren't always the veggies that eat often, but they turned out to be great in this, you hardly notice that you're swallowing things that are good for you!
- Healthy Route: if you're looking to go healthier, then go heavy on the veggies (squash, zucchini and tomato) and go light on the chips and cheese
We are in the market for healthy and easy dinner recipes (either crock pot or not), so let me know if you've got a good one to share!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment