Our Family

Our Family

Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Frozen Bananas & Flaxseed Meal

This morning, I made myself a smoothie.
 
I always hear about people putting frozen bananas in their smoothies and that it works better than ice. There’s no need for ice if you’ve got frozen fruit! Anyways, so I find that frozen bananas are harder to come by in the “frozen foods” section of the grocery store, than other fruits. So I thought to myself, I’ll be smarter than the average bear! So I bought about 6 fresh bananas from the grocery store, peeled and cut them all into smoothie size pieces. I threw them all in a Ziploc bag and tossed them in the freezer.
 
This morning, when I went to make my smoothie, I grabbed the bag of frozen bananas and it was like frozen solid, couldn’t even break parts of it off. Finally, after I ended up taking a knife to the frozen block, I broke off a chunk, which I still had to defrost in the microwave to get to come apart just to get some parts to fit into my smoothie cup. Anywho- my smarter than the average bear move, was defeated by frozen bananas, does anyone have a solution to this?! It seems like the frozen fruit that you buy from the grocery store is so easy to split apart, so maybe there’s a secret in the bag?
 
Regardless…
 
My smoothie this morning had:
OJ
Applesauce
Frozen strawberries
Bananas…
Greek Yogurt
½ scoop vanilla protein powder
½ scoop flaxseed meal
 
My first time adding flaxseed meal to a smoothie. Bob’s Red Mill says “Flaxseed Meal is freshly milled to preserve the natural oils and nutrients. Ground flaxseeds have a nutty taste and are a noted health-giving digestive aid. They are also high in fiber and are powerful natural cholesterol controllers. In a 2 Tablespoon serving size (13 grams) the fiber content is 1.33 grams of Soluble Fiber and 2.67 grams of Insoluble Fiber. Ground Flaxseeds are a good source of Omega 3 Fatty Acids. In a 2 Tablespoon serving, there is 2400 mg of Omega 3. Keep refrigerated for freshness.”
 
Here’s my smoothie, a few berry bliss oat bars for a snack, a clementine and of course lots of water. Cheers!

1 comment:

  1. Jarvis loves frozen veggies and fruit, so I often dice and then freeze them. The key is to go in about every hour or so after you throw them in and move the bag around. Shake it, break up any pieces that are sticking together, etc. You will have some chunks, but it won't be one frozen block. The other way is to spread it on a cookie sheet and then stick in the freezer, and then bag up once they are frozen!! Loving your smoothie kick, although I hate bananas :)

    ReplyDelete