Our Family

Our Family

Tuesday, March 22, 2011

After Vacation Slump

I hate the after vacation slump… I am totally in one right now, not a lot of motivation to do much of anything. Before a vacation I go into a super organized and productive mode…
 
shopping for wedding outfit - CHECK
doing laundry - CHECK
manicure/pedicure/dress shopping/shoe shopping – CHECK
dry cleaning wedding/church clothes – CHECK
boarding for Ranger/calling to confirm – CHECK
work out/eat healthy to look nice and feel good for trip – CHECK
cleaning up the house/cleaning out fridge/taking out trash – CHECK
printing out itineraries/tickets – CHECK
charging iPod and phone for plane rides – CHECK
buying/bringing reading materials for flights – CHECK
packing snacks and breakfast items (so I don’t eat my own arm) – CHECK
 
Do you remember that Friends episode where Monica and Ross were planning to take their trip to London for his wedding and they would say to themselves, “CHECK!” every time they packed something. Yeah, that’s me…
 
Anyways, the point to my post is that when I return from a vacation I turn into a total slob, quite the opposite from my productive self prior to a trip. It seems like that it takes me a while to recover from the trip and it’s hard to find motivation to work out, eat healthy, clean the house, unpack bags, do yard work, etc.
 
Every once in a while I try to ask myself… “What would the best version of me do?” For instance when I’m having an internal battle about whether to work out or not…. Or an internal battle about what I should eat for dinner… or an internal battle about doing something productive after work or watching TV….
 
When I am at my “best”, meaning I’m happy and feeling good, with a positive attitude and aware of what is the best option for my well being…. Most of the time I should choose working out instead of watching TV or eating healthy instead of going out to eat. Sounds a little bit like Oprah, doesn’t it?
 
Now I’m not saying that this method works 100% of the time, because sometimes I stare my ‘best self’ in the face and say, screw that… I’m gonna sit on my butt and watch TV all night, while eating a cheeseburger… booya!
 
Regardless, I’m trying really hard to get out of my after vacation slump and get into gear.  Stay tuned and see whether I succeed or not.
 
Happy Trails!

No comments:

Post a Comment