Our Family

Our Family

Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Work outs, worked in

Better Homes & Gardens article called, “Workouts, worked in”

Some of my favorite Quotes:

“Moderate workouts can make you happier, smarter, and ironically, more energetic… All it takes is 22 minutes a day – roughly the amount of time the average woman spends styling her hair every morning”

“Surround yourself with visual reminders of your goals, which counteract inertia by keeping your game plan on the top of mind.”

“Share your goals with others – whether in person or by posting them online. Putting the info out there allows friends and family to provide encouragement and help hold you to your word.”

“There are 1440 minutes in a day; US Dept of Health and Human Services says 22 minutes of moderate exercise a day needed for good health”

“On a scale from 1-10, with 3 being a leisurely stroll and 10 being maximum effort, you want to be around 5, an intensity at which your heart and breathing rate are elevated but you’re not gasping for breath”

“Formalize your commitment to better health by scheduling regular workouts in your datebook or digital calendar – and do it far in advance.”


 

I’ve been saying for a while that I need to get out all the old pairs of jeans that I own and don’t fit into anymore and put them somewhere where I can see them every day and remind myself of my goals to fit back into some of them! 22 minutes seems so easy when you think about the fact that there’s 1440 minutes in a day and about 960 of them you are awake. 22 minutes is 2.3% of the time that you are awake every day and I can’t seem to fit in a work out!?!

I think I’m going to take the advice of BHG and “share your goals with others” and “scheduling regular workouts in digital calendar in advance”. I think I just found my new self challenge for April?! I’m going to look at the month of April and determine the days that I am realistically able to fit in a work out and schedule it in advance and write it in my planner, tell my husband, put it in my calendar on my phone, add to calendar on cozi and post to my blog. How many more places could I write it… my forehead?!?

Now don’t expect some amazing fitness routine. I’m shooting for at least 22 minutes a day, for at least 3-4 times a week. This will be a large improvement from my sporadic and unreliable work outs as they are today.

Well, cheers to more (at least) 22 minute workouts in April!

1 comment: